Senegal Claims WAFU Cup

Senegal managed to become the new champions of the prestigious WAFU Cup of Nations in 2019 after a 3-1 victory against Ghana in a penalty shootout after 120 minutes of intense football with a score of 1-1 on Sunday at the Stade Lat Dior in Thies.

Ghana nearly claimed the lead during the 10th minute after Habib Mohammed received a left-sided free-kick delivered by Augustine Okrah. However, his header from 8 yards away, unfortunately, struck the post. Senegal provided the next threat from a beautiful right-sided free-kick during the 13th minute after the cross from Ousseynou Niang met Philippe Paulin Keny. However, his header missed the post by mere inches without any pressure from Ghana’s defence.

Two minutes later, Senegal managed to cause more damage during a set-piece when Moustapha got onto a corner-kick delivered by Ibrahima Drama. However, the header went just full of the posts from 12 years away. After the corner-kick, both teams decided to tighten up their defences and seemed quite timid when it came to attacking. This reduced scoring chances for both sides just before half time rolled around.

Second Half Drama

Senegal performed well during the second half of the match, and in all honesty, should have taken the lead during the 57th minute after Assane Mboji received a corner-kick which was placed at the back of the posts. However, his header went wide by a few yards. Within a minute, Mboji was back at it again thanks to a marvellous turn on the edge of the penalty box to defeat his marker. However, his glorious shot managed to skim the top of the crossbar.

During the 68th minute, Ghana finally managed to create their very first shot on goal during the second half when a terrific run from Okrah witnessed him sail through the middle of the field. However, the goalkeeper for Senegal was quick off his line to deny the goal. Ghana almost took the lead during the 82nd minute thanks to a corner-kick that saw Shafiu Mumuni get into position a mere 6 yards from the posts. However, his incredible header was beautifully recovered by Pepe Ndiaye. This was mainly the last chance for both teams to score as the regulation time came to an end.

Extra Time

Senegal came extremely close to scoring a goal during the 105th minute when Youssouph Badji received a cross from Niang. However, his 8-yard strike hit the post. Fortunately, the second half of extra time saw Badji finally score a goal with another fantastic cross from Niang. Ghana managed to equalize during the 110th minute thanks to a free-kick opportunity where Joseph Esso scored the equalizer. Neither side was able to find another goal which caused the game to go into a penalty shootout. During the shooting, Ndiaye made two incredible saves that allowed Senegal to become victorious and claim the WAFU Cup of Nations eventually.